Join Eastside Lions Youth Rugby Club for Boys and Girls Grades 1 to 12
Is rugby your passion?
Will rugby become your team sport this year?
This season our Summer Rugby 7s program is free - we want to invite new players to discover Rugby and join the Lions. Please do not hesitate to advertise this great offering to your peers and friends. Practices are at Highland Middle School lower grass field in Bellevue WA from 5 to 7 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
Though, in order to be covered by insurance and to be compliant we need new players to register to Rugby WA/USA. Please go to www.rugbywa.org to register to summer 7s'. Fees are $60 - Proof of registration to be given to your coach at your next practice - without it your coach cannot let you practice or play games with us. Tx!
Check as well our website www.eastsidelionsrugby.com to learn more about our club and get answers to many practical questions - it contains in particular the waiver forms to fill in and hand over to your team coordinator or coach.
Thanks and welcome again to our Summer 7s!
An Introduction to Rugby via King County LibrarySystem: https://kcls.bibliocommons.com/item/show/1391131082_rugby
We are always looking for athletes excited about rugby and willing to join the Lions!
Rugby is the perfect complementary sport with football & wrestling and many rugby players are football players or wrestlers as well.
by Club Administrator
Eastside Lions was established in the spring of 2007. Eastside Lions Youth Rugby Club is a 501 (C) 3 non-profit organization aimed to run youth rugby programs for 6-18 year old boys and girls with dedicated volunteers.
EIN 46-5545989 : our non-profit Id
The program serves more than 150 players from the Greater Eastside including Clyde Hill, Bellevue, Mercer Island, Redmond, Kirkland, Sammamish, Issaquah, Snoqualmie, Renton, Preston, Lake Forest Park, Montlake, North Bend, Fall City, Snohomish, Carnation, Bothell, and more.
The mission of the Eastside Lions Youth Rugby Club is to develop character, sportsmanship and teamwork through rugby.
We offer a competitive track with a Development team - 7/8th graders - then a Junior Varsity team and a Varsity team who compete at the regional and state levels. As early as 5/6th grade we play other Washington and Canadian clubs. We are eager to take our players outside Washington state and to welcome teams from out of state.
We have a devoted staff of high quality, certified coaches, athletic trainers, and a committed parent support organization. We partner with Atavus Rugby to offer professional coaching support and athletic training. The club is sanctioned by USA Rugby and competes against other clubs throughout Puget Sound and the state of Washington.
We are committed to provide all interested young men and women the opportunity to learn & play the game of rugby. For some, this will complement the football season & can lead to possible collegiate scholarships. Others will participate in their first team sport.
Rugby is gaining momentum in the USA and we are proud to support this sport on the Eastside. Go Lions!
Rugby can be a year-round sport. Each summer we offer Eastside Lions Summer Camps with Atavus. Rugby 7s (teams of seven players instead of 15) also run during the summer.
This season the series will include scheduled matches for Girls 7/8 and Varsity level, Boys 7/8, JV and Varsity level. As well there will be time slots between matches for our youth participants; to include 1st-4th (non-contact) and 5th/6th. These can be motley games so all can participate.
The Rugby summer's series will be played over the following weekends: July 30th at Orting Lions Community Park - 19725 Orville Road East Orting 98360, August 6th, Cedar Heights Middle School - 19640 SE 272nd St, Kent, WA 98042 , and August13th, Regional Athletic Complex - 8345 Steilacoom Rd SE, Olympia, WA 98513
Fall practice starts as early as September 1, and the season begins in January. Official Rugby WA games are scheduled in the spring.
This season teams kicked off as follow:
- 7th-12th grade Boys – Newport HS Tuesday and Thursdays 6:30-8:30 - Starting January 12th
- 7th- 12th grade Girls - Newport HS Wednesday 5:00-6:30 Team Meeting January 13th
- 1st – 6th Lions Coed Youth Central - January Tuesdays 5:00-7:00 and Wednesday 4:00-6:00pm at Grass Lawn and Sunday 9:00-11:00am at Highland Middle School - starting September 1st
- 3rd- 4th Lions youth Fall City – Season Kick off at Fall City January 22nd and 23rd
- 1st – 6th Lions Coed Youth South – Newport and Sammamish - starting end of january
- 1st- 6th West Seattle Lions – West Seattle - starting end of January
Where and How many times a week?
You can expect practice 1 to 3 times a week depending on the team you join. Specific expectations and commitments will be explained by your coach.Jamborees and games happen on Saturdays or Sundays during the competitive season - mostly in the spring.
We have currently 5 practice locations. Each practice location offers a certain number of school grade teams depending on coach availability, number of players and field capacity:
- Development, Junior Varsity and Varsity,our main teams for high school boys, practice at one of the available high school fields along Interstate 90 or south of Interstate 90. We expect to practice at Newport High School and Ringdall close by Factoria
- Central Lions currently our practice fields are Grass Lawn Park and Highland Middle School's lower grass fields, close by Microsoft Main Campus in Redmond and downtown Bellevue
- EastMountain Lions practice at Fall City
- North Lions practice at the crossroad of South Bothell, Woodinville and North Kirkland
- South Lions will likely practice along with our Development to Varsity teams this year at one of the available high school fields along Interstate 90 or south of Interstate 90. We expect to practice at Newport High School and Ringdall close by Factoria
- WestSeattle Lions practice in West Seattle
This year we are opening a High School Girls Rugby team for girls in grades 9 to 12. Practice fields are yet to be determined on the Eastside.
At what age does full-contact start?
Full contact starts officially at grades 5/6.
Grades 3/4 gradually introduce contact throughout the season, but most games for grades 3/4 are played as 'Touch' in a Jamboree format.
Registration is available now. Players are invited to book their spots as soon as possible. Newcomers are invited to our Give-it-a-Try sessions. More details in our Registration tab.
We are always looking for volunteers to help. Check out our volunteer page.
Sponsors & Partners
Sponsorships and partnerships are key for us to offer our players amazing rugby experiences and opportunities. Visit our Sponsor & Partner tab for more info.